Tuesday, July 29, 2008

This picture is for Jill........ one day I will have my own
This is a picture of another montain we climbed called
Las Ilinizas, 17,00ft

Me climbing up the steep face, look mom I wore a helmet
The Ecuadorian version of Bullfight, not quite as elegant as

Spain.


The people in the ring are in as much danger as the people in the stands

Here I am on the summit of Cotopaxi, 19300 ft, I puked
from the altitude right before they took this photo

A marvelous display of the climbing equipment we used
Me cold and exhausted in front of a crevasse
It looks like you could climb right up..... not so
The climbing refuge at Cotopaxi about 4800meters, high enough

This last week was wonderful, I spent time doing one of my favorite things, hiking. I spent all week in a climbing refuge acclimizing in Cotopaxi National Park, it was amazing. The hike to the summit of Cotopaxi, an extinct volcano, was the hardest hike I have done in my life. We started off at midnight, you have to climb at night because the snow it not sturdy enough during to day. We hiked for 7 hours straight to get to the summit with loads of equipment, 20 below zero temperatures, wind, and 1/2 the regular amount of oxygen. I was truely exhausted but loved every minute of it. I am now in Macas again to finish off my time of service here, the up coming month is the month of health. We will be doing free health screenings here in Macas all through August if any of you want to visit:)


No comments: